Brett and Kim

Brett and Kim
Our Story - Brett, Kimi, Curtis, Cadence and Callie Dyke

About Me

My photo
Goddard, KS, United States
I am one of the fortunate few who married my very bestfriend! Brett and I started dating when I was a sophmore in highschool, and have been together ever since! So I don't know life without Brett in it, and I wouldn't want to. He has given me so many wonderful things over our 14 years together. However the most precious are our children. I am making this blog for them. One day hopefully they will be able to get some of the joy back they have given to me by reading this!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Strep Throat


Strep Throat, high fevers, and vomiting have been spreading around Colwich like wild fire. 

We had lucked out (both my kids and my classroom) until last Wednesday. 
I was doing literature group when my phone rang. My interpreter answered it and asked the person on the other line if she could have me call them back. I didn't think much when she told me to call the nurses office. As this had happened last week when there was a positive in strep in the other Life Skills classroom - informing me that I would need to send home notification letters with my kiddos. 

About 15 minutes later I called down to the nurse to find out that Cadie was in there with 101.4 fever. I felt terrible that I hadn't called sooner (my staff now know that if the nurses office calls get me). 

I went down and got a super sad kindergartner from the nurses office and brought her down to my room. With only 45 minutes left of school I put her on a beanbag behind my desk and told her that the day was almost over.... I should add that she had her PE shoes on and had just come from gym, therefore I thought the fever could some what be from that.... I know poor mommy and teacher decision. Within 5 minutes of being in my room she started throwing up... needless to say she and I left and my staff finished the school day without me. The nurse that works in my room highly suggested that I take her and get her tested for strep. I reluctantly called because she did  not have a sore throat. I now know.... that a fever and throwing up are in fact signs of strep throat. She tested positive and was given an antibiotic - the crazy thing is her throat never did hurt! 


Since Brett had taken three days off the two weeks my mom was down with her hip it was my turn. I went up to work Wednesday evening to do sub plans and stayed home with my little ladies Thursday. We spent the morning practicing our sign language and watching "Signing Time". Cadence is so much like her dad and I often get frustrated with her lack of sensor and saying whatever it is that pops in her head..... However, I couldn't be more proud of the little person that she is becoming and the LOVE that she has for the children in our Life Skills program. She is constantly bringing me things at home and telling me that one of my students would love it or that she is sure I could make a task box out of it! She says that she wants to be an interpreter or an intervener when she grows up. 

She will make a fantastic one too!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment