Brett and Kim

Brett and Kim
Our Story - Brett, Kimi, Curtis, Cadence and Callie Dyke

About Me

My photo
Goddard, KS, United States
I am one of the fortunate few who married my very bestfriend! Brett and I started dating when I was a sophmore in highschool, and have been together ever since! So I don't know life without Brett in it, and I wouldn't want to. He has given me so many wonderful things over our 14 years together. However the most precious are our children. I am making this blog for them. One day hopefully they will be able to get some of the joy back they have given to me by reading this!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

"My Tummy"

It is very common in our house for Callie to cry "my tummy" and will often find Brett or I to rub her tummy. She has now been off of gluten for 5 days and has been a new child. However, this morning she was up super early and overall very fussy. Nothing like what she has been but definitely not as good as she has been the past few days. This morning she went and got in bed with Brett and wanted him to rub her tummy.
 Dr. Hund told us that it could take a few weeks to a few months for all of the gluten to get out of her system. We didn't realize how unhealthy her BM's were until we are now seeing such good diapers. They are no longer grey/maroon or nearly as foul smelling. She doesn't seem as bloated and the scratching is getting better. She is still pretty broke out but we are seeing improvements. It is our understanding that children who develop the DH (some fancy skin condition that accompanies gluten intolerance) 99% of the time have full blown Celiac's Disease. Her blood was drawn on Thursday and we were told it would take 4-5 working days for her results to come back. Dr. Hund said that it was up to Brett and I but would suggest we opt for a stomach and intestine biopsy if she comes back positive.  However, we have decided that we are NOT going to do this. If she were in her 30's we could understand needing to see the extent of damage. We are so blessed with how much love and support everyone has shown for my sweet Callie. From my cousin Jessica (who brought extra gluten free snacks to my moms) to my mother-in-law who made her gluten free cookies today! The more I read about Celiacs the more I understand how serious of a condition this truly is. The great thing is I have a *wonderful* husband who has pretty much taken over switching everything in our home to gluten free. I will post as soon as we get results back!
We've got this sweet Girl!!

1 comment:

  1. poor little tummy! I'm sure it hurts pretty bad! My mother-in-law has explained how bad her stomach hurts if she comes into contact with gluten. Her stomach bloats up like she's pregnant and she just lays on the couch in agony. I'm sooo happy Callie is doing better!

    ReplyDelete